View Single Post
Old 07-07-2013, 02:49 PM
Stardrifter_WA
Life is looking up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
Well, it will be very interesting to see the outcome. I hope they sell, and survive in some form. As much as I always slag on my LXD75 mount, it's been pivotal in rekindling my interest in observing.

Also, whenever I can get my scope to a party or gathering, it's always been a complete blast if people get to see Jupiter, Saturn, or a globular for the first time, they literally cannot believe their eyes and are amazed with 'that thing's been up there just over my head for my whole life ?'. Fox
Although I do not like Meade products, particularly after all the trouble I had to go to in order to get the 16" Lightbridge to work smoothly, it would be a real shame to see it go, as competition drives innovation. Just look at what Celestron have done in recent times, and indeed Meade's innovative products, which has caused their woes, due to high cost involved in developing these new products.

Times are changing, particularly with many more players in the high end of the amateur market. Where once Meade and Celestron where considered to be the serious end of the amateur market, they are now entry level for series amateurs. This is not a bad thing, it is great, as it has made good easy to use equipment affordable and has driven the need for higher end products.

Now, we are seeing some fine products, as well as bad, coming out of China at very affordable prices. I expect that this will continue to improve as China gets its quality issues resolved over time.

The biggest worry for the amateur market though is twofold, the first being saturation of the market and the other being light pollution, which is ever increasing, and thus diminishing the see-able sky within city limits, where the majority of the future, if any, market for astronomical products, reside. Not everyone is going to bother to travel to dark sky sites.

All-in-all, particularly as far as equipment is concerned, we live in the golden age of amateur astronomy. Detectors that were once the province of professional are now affordable for the amateur.

But, I digress, if Meade does cease to exist, I don't think it will make that much of an impact on the amateur market. It certainly will have an impact on those who have Meade products and may need spare parts, but there after market service appeared to woeful anyway.