View Single Post
Old 11-08-2017, 08:32 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

Temma 2 Jr accident - please help

Great timing with Astrofest next week ...

Was doing some test runs last night, and I didn't notice a cable had come loose. Did a slew and the cable that connects the mount to USB was hooked around the mount's AZ knob. I was standing next to it, but in the dark didn't see at first, heard strange noises, then noticed the cable getting tighter and tighter. Couldn't stop the slew, so pulled the connector out of the mount controller.

Now I can't get the mount to connect to the PC. Just won't detect it. Everything has been powered off and on, USBs pulled out and plugged in. Can't find it on any COM port.

I'm not sure if it's just the cable connector that's damaged, or just the controller port on the mount, or both, or something else. I'm hoping just the cable.

My mount is an EM-200 Temma 2 Jr. The connector (I think) looks one of those PS/2 type plugs like mouse/keyboard before USB came in. Actually, it must be a 9 pin one. See the RS232 plug on photo of mount controller below. Other end of cable is a DB9 connection. I've got a USB to serial cable that connects the DB9 to USB hub.

Questions:
1. Does anyone know if the PS/2 to DB9 cable is an off-the-shelf type one I might be able to get from somewhere like https://www.qconnect.com.au ? The way I read the manual https://www.optcorp.com/pdf/Takahashi/Temma2Manual.pdf it appears that it is some sort of a standard RS-232C cable DB9 (female) to 9 pin mini-DIN male?
2. Maybe you can get nowadays a direct PS/2 serial to USB in one cable, save having 2 cables to do job in one? Anyone know?
3. Anyone else had the misfortune of doing something similar and got out of it? How?

Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (EM-200 Temma2.JPG)
49.2 KB47 views

Last edited by troypiggo; 11-08-2017 at 08:42 PM.