View Single Post
Old 09-08-2017, 05:46 PM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Have a look at this TS80 FPL-53 Doublet APO:

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop...n-focuser.html

It is a little cheaper than the triplet but still very capable for imaging. Native f7 it reduces to f5.5 with the reducer corrector. It is also a little lighter than the triplet version. Importantly you can get it shipped to you here for less than $1k, that is delivered, so no inbound charges (GST). Make sure you specify DHL delivery in the shipping options as that is much cheaper than UPS and keeps you under the threshold.

Once you get the scope, you can order the reducer corrector of your choice, and bring it in on a new order, it will be under the GST threshold of course. Don't bundle the orders.

Which ever way you go, i recommend the 3" Photoline Reducer Corrector, its very good, i have it. You could save abit with the 2" version if needed but it won't suit the larger APOs in that family of scopes.

Of your other options, i believe Option 3 is preferable. It is abit easier to collimate an f5 and it has less native coma, you could see if you can buy a second hand Baader MPCC, they do come up now and then on the classifieds.
Don't worry about Carbon Fibre at that size.

I should tell you that i just bought a TS80 FPL-53 Doublet APO and it arrived under $1000. I already had the reducer corrector because i own its bigger brother as well. Those TS FPL-53 APOs are excellent value and have very good rack and pinon focusers. Good luck
Is there a difference between the TS and a Skywatcher ED80? From what I remember, both have FPL-53 lenses in them with about the same f ratio. You could get them super cheap used in great conditions and they pop up occasionally here in classified. You can get a made-for-ed80 reducer corrector for it for about $300 new.