View Single Post
Old 03-02-2021, 06:42 AM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

Hello,

Assuming your referring to the solid tubes here as GSO don't do a collapsible tube. I think for the extra $50 your better off with GSO for three reason as listed by others;
1) Dual speed focuser
2) Bob nobs
3) Right angled finder scope

The dual speed is a nice step up, esp if you manage a night of high magnification seeing, the bob's nobs make collimation at night so so much easier and the right angled finder scope makes life a little easier as well.

All up those 3 options would cost you far far more than $50 in after market upgrades and the first two are really worth it imo. So if the Saxon doesn't have the first two at least, I would recommend the GSO over the Saxon.

Steve
Ps. Bobs nobs are a tool free nut/screw set used to collimate your scope. The other option is a philips head screw and a 2/3mm hex key which can be tedious in the dark. While I find my 8" SW hold collimation fairly well even after several road trips, for best viewing a quick star test at the start of each session is not a bad idea... after the scope has cooled/acclimated of course.

I would much rather have bobs nob than keep searching for my hex keys, I must have about 6+ of them by now and still search for them every time I go to collimate! Which makes me a little lazy at times and doesn't give the best nights viewing possible if I had made the effort to tweek the collimation at the start of the session.

Pps. After you have used the scope for a while, pull apart the focuser, if you find you are leaving two thin wear marks, grab a sanding stone and flatten out the strip on the draw tube.

Last edited by mura_gadi; 03-02-2021 at 07:55 AM. Reason: added Pps