View Single Post
Old 03-02-2007, 10:18 AM
DobDobDob (Ron)
Blacktown isn't so black

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenc View Post
I think it is a good idea and "A southern extension to the Messier Catalogue" in the back of Hartung would make a good list.
Apparently the way it works is you record the name/number, the date you observed it, a description of what you saw and perhaps a sketch, then after you reach the required number, you send in your details to the 'Keeper of Records', an honorary title for some volunteer that can maintain an Excel spreadsheet. The names are then placed on a web page where the observers can be proud of their achievement. At this point, the observer can then download a certificate that is pre-signed by a VIP either the club president or forum owner and print it on their own printer, mount it and hang it on their wall of honour.

I guess it's up to one of the moderators to pick up on this and then discuss it with other forum organizers and see if it really has merit and then workout a set of rules and implement them.

On the site I originally saw, there were two levels (2 certificates), beginners and advanced, I think the first level was 50 messier objects, and advanced was more. The total number of course is relevant to your hemisphere, in our case the Southern.

If this were implemented, I would definitely attempt the beginners level, seeing I only have binoculars at this stage, each level might have to be further broken down into Binocular and Telescope classes.

I know the moderators read everything, so I guess its over to them