View Single Post
Old 31-03-2020, 08:54 AM
Startrek (Martin)

USB3 cables problematic

I’m looking at upgrading from a DSLR to a ZWO OSC cooled camera later this year and the distance from my focuser to my laptop is around 5m. All my 12V DC power cables and USB cables from scope/mount to laptop are direct connect
I currently use a ZWOASI120MM S ( USB3 ) guide camera connected to my laptop via a 5m USB2 cable ( type A to type B ) which has worked flawlessly for years. I originally tried connecting my ZWOASI120MM S ( USB3) guide camera with a few different branded 5m USB3 cables and had intermittent connection problems all the time so I ditched the USB3 cable and replaced with USB2 and no issues at all
My question is can ZWO OSC cooled cameras ( USB3 ) run off USB2 cable OK ? My ZWO USB3 guide camera operates perfectly with a 5m USB2 cable so I’m assuming the ZWO OSC cooled camera would hopefully be the same.
NB: I’m aware of the cable limitations of USB2 ( up to 5m ) and USB3 ( up to 3m) but I’ve read where people have run USB3 cables up to 5m without any issue at all
I’d appreciate some feedback from members who use USB2 cable to connect their USB3 cameras ZWO or other brands successfully up to 5m in cable length
Thanks