View Single Post
Old 07-10-2020, 03:34 AM
Don Pensack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slawomir View Post
Hi all

Recently I started enjoying visual astronomy a bit more often and thought that I would like to see if a tad more planetary/lunar detail can be squizzed out of my 105mm f/6 triplet. My shortest FL eyepiece is 3.5mm Delos, which I like for its FOV (I track manually) and ease of viewing through. But it is a large eyepiece as well. My next one up is 5mm Delite and I really like how it performs with my small refractor on the planets and the moon, and it is very easy to look through.

Would a 3mm Delite be too close to 3.5mm Delos on the planets/lunar? I was also thinking perhaps 2.5mm TOE could be a good candidate as well, but not sure if I would like such short eye relief and narrow FOV with manual alt-az, and also doing 630/2.5=252x might be a bit over the top with such small aperture on the planets for a reasonably comfortable viewing. I observe without glasses.

I would appreciate any comments and advice
105mm, f/6 = 630mm focal length.
3.5mm = 180x.
3.0mm = 210x. That is a fair increase.
2.5mm (Vixen SLV, Skywatcher planetary) = 252x That is a big increase.
So I agree, a 2.5mm is too much. A 3mm is the next logical choice. TeleVue, Orion, Explore Scientific. There are choices if you look around.
But you won't find a better eyepiece than the Delite.