View Single Post
Old 18-01-2020, 09:23 AM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

Hi Vikram,

Welcome to the forum; I understand EAA, I have done a little dabbling in this when showing my elderly mother-in-law views through my scopes as she doesn't really like squinting through an eyepiece.

Can I ask why you've decided to go with the Cooled version of the 290MC? Is it to future proof yourself incase you get bitten by the AP bug?

Reason I ask is; as Martin points out for AP an SCT is not the best choice so, your choice of camera seems a little at odds with the scope you are purchasing & your main stated goal of EAA; in short, a cooled camera would be overkill in terms of money spent to achieve good results in EAA.

Not criticising any of your choices; I ended up buying an 8" SCT when I wanted to up the aperture from my 80mm refractor because, it just ticked all the boxes I was looking for but, at that stage AP wasn't on my horizon.

In short, if EAA is your main goal then you could spend considerably less on a camera & still achieve your goal in spades. I use a 224MC FWIW, I didn't buy it for EAA, I bought it for planetary imaging. It proved a good gateway into dabbling into DSO imaging through my fork mounted SCT...

So, if you are serious enough about AP to want a cooled camera then, I'd take Martin's advice & go with a Newt as it will be far more suited to AP but, will enable you to do EAA, if on the otherhand you just want to dabble in AP, buy the SCT & save yourself some money by buying an uncooled camera, it will still show you what you want to see via EAA...

Just my thoughts on saving you some coin, FWIW

Edit: Also, if you want convenience & have an Android tablet... use ZWO's Asicap app & a USB OTG cable to connect your camera to your tablet... that's what I use with the mother-in-law... you will need to adjust gain & exposure settings for each target to get the best views but, you'll have to do that regardless of what you use to display the images.. I just find a tablet way more convenient than a laptop..