View Single Post
Old 18-10-2010, 06:45 PM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroron View Post
I had a go for the horse head, and with a bit of averted imagination thought I could just discern ithttp://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/....estionicon.gif
Through an 8 inch? Think you need more than an imagination for that - perhaps more like a fantasy!

Quote:
M45/ The Pleiades , low down but still a fine sight.
Tried the UHC on this one too but except for darkening the sky was not much help.
:sc rewy::screw y:

At first when I saw this I thought you were serious until I came back and saw the responses. I was nearly getting ready to teach you how to observe in a dark sky and send you a couple of links on how to use filters.
:sc rewy::screw y:

Sab, I'll clip him over the ear for you when I meet him!

Quote:
Then for some deep sky stuff,NGC253 http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/..../winking70.gifwas plainly seen and with averted imagination some mottling was discerned 30 mm eyepiece75xmag.
I tried a UHC filter to see if it would be of any use?, but is no use at all.
You mean the Silver Coin. I know why you put the wink emoticon there - it was baiting me

Quote:
At 02:42 magnificent Meteor shot through Perseus about 15degs from Comet Hartley and 5degs from M34 at a guess I would say it was at least mag x10,it really lit up the sky.
the colours ranged from white to green and finishing with a reddish
Tinge before evaporating in a really bright flash
But there is more through the 7x35 Binoculars and the 8x50 finder I watched the trail for about 10 minutes changing shape from nearly a straight line to a question mark shape,it was amazing to watch
I was able to trace it's length to at least10 degree's wow
After that I called it a night at 03:00.

What a great finish to a great nights observing
You got pics? No pics, no proof.
Sheez, why do some people have to make up the ending of their log reports in such spectacular fashion as this.

No, seriously tho, how lucky you were to see this and what an absolutely awesome ending to an already great observing night.

I didn't have my scope out this night, but I was outside re familiarising myself with the sky and learning some new constellations. The same time you noticed (aroud 1am), when Orion was reasonably high, the seeing had improved beautifully in my area as well.

You can't half tell you that were missing that 16"!!! There was a lot about your report that you seemed to "imagine".
You had that many M's on your obs list that I had to go and dig up my Messier book so I knew what the heck you were talking about.

Thank you for posting your observations, the lighthearted manner in which this post was written was a nice change.

Sab, it's been that long since we have been able to see the stars here, the excitement is showing through Ron's post. Or maybe that meteor hit him on the head.