View Single Post
Old 06-12-2007, 03:42 PM
Gama

QHY designed the CMOS camera and manufactures it for various countries under their own label. CCD Labs also have the same thing in the USA as well.
So doesnt matter where you get it from, you are getting a good little guider and also a good planetary imager as well.
What it comes down to is software supplied with it.
There is a third party software designer that has released his own drivers and software for it and maintains, supports and also creates changes according to user feedback. This cost is normally added on top of the camera, so you need to make sure what you get.
I myself have had a deal made to supply this software via a license at a minimum cost to me and so still maintain a good price ratio. The license i supply allows for a full year of updates or newly released programs, like video capture, etc for free.

Just a note, the earlier drivers were at best confusing, this was due to the fact that every dealer had their own firmware installed in the cameras they sold. Of course this led to multiple drivers that only worked for the specific dealer, and if you loaded the wrong one, then it would not recognise the camera.
This is finally overcome by having the drivers detect which camera you have and then install the appropriote drivers for it.
JohnH has had great results using this type of camera, and has done a small post about it.

Theo.