Thread: OSC cameras
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2015, 06:02 PM
PRejto (Peter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Tucker View Post
Interesting concept. I just purchased a Celestron Nightscape 8300 which is an OSC and also have an ST-8300M. How would you suggest the setup if the following were the scopes available: FSQ-106ED, FS-78, TEC160FL
I've been working on my dual scope system now for quite a while. It's a good concept but doing so on one mount can get rather tricky, especially if you want to use one computer, dither, or go automated. All the automation programs will only control one camera...so, I had a special program written that will trigger images from TSX to CCDSoft (camera #2) (or a 2nd instance of TSX). Another consideration is the FOV with cameras for the 2 scopes. I get a rather similar resolution and FOV by using a KAF8300 CCD on my TEC180 and a H694 CCD on the TEC140. Then there is the problem of aiming both scopes which can be quite difficult without something like the Optec Libra. But, I had to modify the device to eliminate flexure. Then there is the problem of focusing both scopes. FocusMax will do 2 focusers with Acquire Star but the process is a little slow. CCDAP5 will run FM and the Acquire Star script. Anyway, it's a nice thought to do this and it does work. But, you will spend many many months getting it all to play nice together. Often I wonder if I'll ever actually realize any time saving.

Anyway, I'd start by using the Ron Wodaski tool to compare FOVs with the two cameras. I think yours will be very different. Perhaps a mild application of a barlow (Maybe the TAK 1.6?) on the small scope would better equalize the FOVs and resolutions. I'd recommend that you do luminance with the TEC160, colour with the smaller scope.

Peter

Last edited by PRejto; 09-08-2015 at 08:09 AM.