View Single Post
Old 20-02-2011, 02:33 AM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroron View Post
Many thanks Ron. Now hop to it and finish your one already!
Quote:
Originally Posted by barx1963 View Post
Lovely report Suzy.

So glad you nabbed 5128. It is a little tricky to get hopping from Omega Cent. I remember last year having a few attempts, but when I had done 3 or 4 times, I could get there without checking an atlas!. Keep looking over the next few months, I know last year as it was higher each night it became better, shortly you will be able to see the patterns in the dust lanes as your eye get used to the target.
Gamma Velorum is a lovely double, also one of my favourites, interesting to think as a Wolf Rayet star it is one of the most energetic stars you can see naked eye. I also believe it is a system of 6 stars!
3132 has been a bit of a bugbear, always have trouble locating it, so welcome to the club!

Malcolm
Wow, I didn't know about it having a 6 star system!
I see 3132 seems to be elusive then... hmmm.. had I known that at the beginning I probably would have left it until I became more experienced. But now that I've gotten it, I must say I feel quite chuffed!I thought it was me being a beginner having trouble (add to that, the finder is not on scope yet as I'm using no mag. red dot finder only - need to drill another hole for finder, and reverse & upside image in newt. scope, maps upside down, computer software not showing object, lack of maps with object in it, blah blah, all the things that are nightmares for beginners). I even had the star hop pattern ingrained in my memory for days while trying to find it. So yes, I'm very chuffed then. .
And I can't wait to point the scope onto 5128 after seeing it in my binos. It will be my next session.

Quote:
Originally Posted by that_guy View Post
Awesome report Suzy, makes mine look like total crap haha. I don't think theres any possibility to nab Centaurus A in my scope, let alone my binos. I envy your slightly light polluted sight!!!
Awe Tony, I loved your report. Any report is a great read, weather it be short and simple or long and detailed. It's all the same - it makes us feel like where out there observing. They always put a smile on my face. Now get out there and give us more reports, even quick ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
Great report Suzy - lovely descriptions. Re NGC 3201, I find the variability between GCs endlessly fascinating. They all look so different and I enjoy trying to guess what class they are and what their history may be. And as you keep revisiting NGC 3132 you will see more and more.

Looking forward to your next report!
Thank you so much Paddy.
This is the first broken glob. I have seen, so my confusion as to what it was, was justified all right. I love globs. too. I think most of us must do. Can you please give me any other broken globs that are out at the moment and fairly easy to find and which are a fair size? Just one or two? Regarding 3132, I need a short break from "it", it's a bit like that , I have some fury towards it . But I will re-visit some stage later for sure. It just needs to stay away from me for a little while longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrampianStars View Post
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/....s/thumbsup.gif
Check out The Homunculus Nebula "peanut" shape surrounding the massive star system Eta Carinae.
Best at high mag. (RA 10h 45m 03.6s, Dec -59° 41′ 04″) when near zenith likely 1.00am end Feb
Distance 7,500 ly Ap mag (V) 6.21 (-0.8–7.9)
Really Stunning use filter
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap080617.html
Yes, the Homunculus is incredibly awesome. I have not used a filter on it though, but at 240x it is indeed spectacular. Eta Carina is my favourite object in the whole sky. Thank you for your tips though, I do appreciate it. Who knows, one day, we might catch an outburst or an explosion in our eyepiece .

Quote:
Originally Posted by orestis View Post
Awesome Report Suzyhttp://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/....s/thumbsup.gif,

I have tried numerous attempts at ngc 3132(eight burst) and have not been able to locate it and have given up.I have to find it,i'll try next clear dark sky.Compared to m57 how much smaller(apparant size) is it? For instance i can clearly see m57 in a 25mm ep.

love reading these reports makes me feel at home again.I haven't observed in ages and hope to get back out there soon.

regards Orestishttp://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/....s/thumbsup.gif
Orestis, save your sanity
I used 10' of aperture, and a 10mm ep (120x) - woops I just realised everywhere in my report where I said 200x, it should have been 120x - I need to go back and edit.. Back to the point, I still couldn't get it, despite knowing exactly where to look. It was only when I popped on the OIII filter that it became apparent. It looks stellar. It is nothing like M57 (The Ring). That was easy, and very apparent and fairly bright. Size wise, about the same (using the filter). What really helped me was that Ron told me it looked stellar, so therefore I wasn't looking for nebulosity (like M57 or The Blinking Planetary). I spent two sessions trying to find it unfiltered before filtering. What really did help is the following link ( I did much research on what to expect and help to find it). http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=42918
Use those large stars as your guide to exactly where it should be. They will be very easy to see in the scope. I spent ages exactly there and saw nothing for days. As compared to the picture, I saw the bright centre, but smaller, a dark thick inner ring, and a thin orange outer ring.
Good luck finding it, perhaps your dark skies will help, so give it a go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobF View Post
Thanks Suzy for the great read. Very businesslike and enthusing at the same time.
Businesslike enthusing I wanted my report to sound professional so my job is done *Suzy is picturing herself as Hartung's student* The student may surpass the master.... I wonder if Oprah will have me on her book club when it's released... I wonder if anyone would read it ... I wonder if I should stop talking now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjnettie View Post
An excellent read Suzy!
And like everyone else, I'm looking forward to the next one.
Many thanks Nettie, I am glad you enjoyed it. Hmmm, I think my next report may be a grab bag on all sorts. It was incredibly rewarding doing one large constellation (Vela) and studying it to pieces. But next time, it may be a bag of all sorts. The only thing that I missed in Vela was the remnant, but after reading, I found out that with my size scope It would be like hitting my head against a brick wall. I tried only for a bit (with the filter on), but gave up, saving my sanity instead with the knowledge of knowing it would have likely been out of my reach. Tho, now come to think of it Liz got it I think, but then she has darker skies.