View Single Post
Old 05-12-2014, 09:12 PM
JB80 (Jarrod)
Aussie abroad.

I can't speak for the 120mm-s version as I have the mm but the frame rates I get for solar start at around 27-30fps at full resolution and once I change the ROI in firecapture to concentrate on a particular feature are around 60-90fps, I have even had it at 100+ when concentrating just on a small sun spot region.
It's much the same for Lunar too.

My logs for Mars and Saturn are on the laptop but I think I get a touch lower frame rate than John but then my scope isn't the largest around.

It's a great camera and all I can really say is it is a shame that I got mine a couple of weeks before the MM-S was released as that is supposed to be even faster.

Then only issue is for Ha imaging you can get Newton rings, they never really turn up until I add a barlow to the train and either with a touch of drift or taking a flat I manage to negate them somewhat.
My DMK only gets used occasionally now and only for a full disc shot with the PST.

Other than that I know the Point Grey Flea's seem to be a popular choice or another PG one but I can't really comment on those.

edit: I'll also add that if you are to consider the ASI120mm then you should look at the QHY5-ii as they are practically the same thing and I think the QHY is better suited for the PST eyepiece holder as the ASI's adapters are not great on a vanilla PST, fine on the mod however. It was a close call on which to get for me but the fact the ASI came with a fisheye for all-sky shots sold it. I have yet to use that lens in anger though.

Last edited by JB80; 05-12-2014 at 09:24 PM.