Thread: Perseids 2013
View Single Post
Old 13-08-2013, 12:06 AM
naskies (Dave)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynkim1 View Post
Is there an easy way to work out whether the random streaks in photos are just satellites or possibly meteors or some other random event?
Maybe, maybe not...

Quote:
Sometimes it's obvious:

1. If a line has a steady brightness and width, I think I can safely assume that it was a satellite... especially if it continues through more than one image lol
It may also be a comet, asteroid, high altitude jet, helicopter, laser pointer, cosmic ray, satellite, or even meteor (e.g. passing through the atmosphere, rather than heading towards the ground and burning up brightly).

Quote:
2. When there are multiple really cool looking streaks, radiating from one point... ...then I can probably assume that my zoom lens has suffered from the effects of gravity and closed up, again.

BUT... what about the lines that "fade in" and or "fade out"?
Could these be meteors?
What if there are combinations of both type in one image?
Is there a reliable way to work it out
Yep - photos of fireball meteors usually show them fading in and out. However, satellites (such as the ones in the Iridium network) can flare up brightly when they tumble and happen to catch the sun. With the naked eye, they often look very similar to meteors.

In photos, meteors often leave a distinctive green trail, with or without a persistent train (debris left over from the meteor). Satellite flares usually look white in my photos - I assume because they're reflecting white sunlight.

Websites like CalSky and Heavens Above are good for finding out which satellites would have likely been in the area, if you have GPS coordinates and a reliable time. There are databases of asteroids (e.g. Minor Planet Centre) that you can check too. However, there are many satellites and other objects that don't have official entries in the databases (especially spy satellites ) so it can be a bit hit and miss.