View Single Post
Old 29-10-2023, 03:22 AM
Drac0 (Mark)

For solar system objects, focal length is king, closely followed by aperture. The camera resolution and matching the scope & camera, while relevant for DSO, isn't an issue for the planets. Many people use ZWO planetary cameras & they now offer a wide choice - but don't shy away from offerings from other manufacturers. Resolution really isn't a big thing either - you want your target to fill as much of the sensor as possible so a small sensor works well. I currently still use a ZWO ASI224MC for planetary. Note that guiding generally isn't used or needed for solar system imaging.

Except for the moon perhaps, forget your shorter focal lengths, they just won't cut it for planetary detail. Generally you will be looking at your longer focal lengths, a camera with a small sensor & usually a barlow (2x to 5x). Imaging at F20 or F30 isn't unusual. EP projection isn't needed, especially if you are use a barlow. At the longer focal lengths you may even be able to forgo a barlow on Jupiter, Saturn & Venus - the other planets are just too small.

I currently use a mini-pc on my mount that I remote into from another device to control everything. But a laptop works just as well, just more cables coming off the mount. SharpCap & FireCapture are popular software for planetary, but you can also just use ASICap which comes as part of the ASI Studio software from ZWO if using their cameras.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Mark