View Single Post
Old 12-04-2010, 08:53 AM
telecasterguru (Frank)
Have scope will travel!

Help with new CCD camera

I need some help with my new Atik 320E OSC. It is a 2M camera and I used it for the first time on Saturday night and it was my first attempt at CCD imaging.

I have attached 25 minutes (5 x 5min) worth of Eta for advice. 10" GSO RC guided ED80 with PHD. Guiding seemed fine.

I captured with Nebulosity.

Firstly, the camera is cooled but not sure if the cooling comes on with Nebulosity or you have to turn it on with Artemis. Should the cooling stay on with Artemis not running? When I was doing frame and focus images there was a very strong glow in the upper right hand. It was most disconcerting. It was not evident in the images though. This confused me.

Focus is critical. I used a bahtinov mask with the frame and focus but found if hard to get right. I have also been having trouble with the G11 alignment but I think that is just the lack of sky I have to work with.

When I put the stacked images into PS it told me that there was no embedded colour profile in the image. This also confused me as it is supposed to be a OSC camera. I did no processing of this image in PS other than to resize it.

I know this camera has small pixels at 4.4 and the image looks a little oversampled to me. Also a focal length of f8 might not help.

I also did some images with the ed80 to see how they worked out but have not done anything with them yet.

Please help with this.

Frank
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (eta_11April2010.jpg)
189.9 KB104 views