View Single Post
Old 23-11-2009, 02:23 PM
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaroo View Post
Argghhhh!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!! That's my point! They DON'T have to worry. It's always paid! It's not as though they'll miss out! It's not an "extra" amount - it's just part of the total bill! The bill isn't settled and the tip paid separately - it's added to the payable total on the bill. You'll see it there as "Gratuity (@12%: $16)" on its own line in the bill. This is split off by the owner and given to the worker when they receive their normal pay at the end of the period. They don't sit there "begging" for it! LOL!!!!!

If the customer then decides to add more to that - they'll leave a real "gratuity" on the table for the worker if they were exceptional. They then get the percentage of the paid bill in their wages at the end of the week - plus they get to keep the extra cash they were left without declaring it to anyone.
I still find it objectionable that, as a customer, that I should be made to pay a "gratuity" as part of my final bill, in order to subsidise a worker's wages when the employer is too stingy to make up the difference themselves. Why not just make the meals dearer, then pay the workers the full deal, it achieves much the same outcome. If I'm going to tip anyone, it would be on an individual, personal basis, where I thought the service they provided was worth it, not as a prop up for some establishment's wage bill. If the tips are being paid to the workers over and above their stipulated minimum wage, then that's fine, but not to prop up a poorly paid worker who isn't being paid the minimum wage.

In that case, the business should be dragged through arbitration and made to pay the proper wage to its employees.