View Single Post
Old 23-11-2009, 02:10 PM
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by toryglen-boy View Post
TBH mate, its horses for courses, swings and roundabouts. I would say that the standard of service in the USA is MUCH higher than here in Oz, no scratch that, i dont want to upset my Aussie friends, and rightly so, so lets just say, the standard in the USA is SOOOOOOO much higher here than in Canberra, i am sick of not hearing the magic two words "please" and "thank you" anytime i go to Woden, but i digress.

The quality in the USA is higher because you pay for it, and as Chris has explained, it works. Morally, i feel that its a little outdated, although a by product of that seems to be service staff, really spreading the love for thier money, and i think that can only be a good thing. When i was in the USA, if my service was good, i certainly tipped for it, as there is no right or wrong way, just thier way, and the way here.

Yeah but if you're on the roundabout for too long, you'll throw up your food

I must admit that the service out here in many places has a lot left to be desired, but that's part of the work culture and ethic that seems to pervade many places...just give the customer the bare essentials and dispense with too many pleasantries. Doesn't make for a good dining experience. Yet I've been to places where they almost lay down the red carpet for you. Like I said before, it all depends on how the business is being run and the personal ethics of those that run them.

Can you imagine complaining at Gordon Ramsey's places...he'd politely listen to your complaint, ask you to maybe come and have a talk with the chef, then divert you hurriedly out the back and beat ten grades of pain out of you!!!!