View Single Post
Old 23-11-2009, 02:07 PM
FredSnerd (Claude)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toryglen-boy View Post
TBH mate, its horses for courses, swings and roundabouts. I would say that the standard of service in the USA is MUCH higher than here in Oz, no scratch that, i dont want to upset my Aussie friends, and rightly so, so lets just say, the standard in the USA is SOOOOOOO much higher here than in Canberra, i am sick of not hearing the magic two words "please" and "thank you" anytime i go to Woden, but i digress.

The quality in the USA is higher because you pay for it, and as Chris has explained, it works. Morally, i feel that its a little outdated, although a by product of that seems to be service staff, really spreading the love for thier money, and i think that can only be a good thing. When i was in the USA, if my service was good, i certainly tipped for it, as there is no right or wrong way, just thier way, and the way here.

I suppose it must come down to what one expects in their service. I'm in Canberra too and the service I get here by far exceeds anything I got in America. But remember I was there in 97, so I don't know if much has changed since then. Also I went all over the East coast (perhaps you were on the West coast). And as for quality, my experiance was the exact opposite. The quality here from your supermarkets to your coffee houses to your retaurants to your takeouts to your McDonalds, just so much better here. I dont agree with your assessment that the system is "morally ... a little outdated". Bit too heavy on the use of euthemism for me.