View Single Post
Old 31-03-2009, 12:46 AM
ngcles
The Observologist

Hi Rob & All,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_K View Post
Some dingbat has proposed the name "Lawn Sprinkler Nebula", showing why the trend of outrageous popular naming should be stopped! ...

Other stuff: Also visited NGC 3918 the ‘Blue Planetary’ in Centaurus and NGC 2392 the "Eskimo Nebula" in Gemini. Both tiny, lovely pale blue colour on 3918 ...
Hi Rob, as usual an excellent report.

Re "showing why the trend of outrageous popular naming should be stopped! ..."

YES !!!!! At last ... I have a ... __disciple__ !!

Good that you mentioed NGC 3918 as it will be in my report from last weekend ... sometime soon ... (I hope).

I took a look at this after I had looked at the Homonculus because the seeing was soooo good. Years and years I've seen no detail whatsoever in this thing -- consistent aqua turqoise, seemingly perfectly round. There was one night in the 12" when I thought I may have seen some surface irregularity but not definite.

On Sat night at x617 (*not* a typo -- barlowed 7mm Nagler in 18" f/4.9) at last I saw something definite and had it confirmed by another highly experienced observer. There were two slight bumps on the outer boundary of the halo in the east and west positions. Only small, low bumps but definite. HST saw them before me though ...

Great report mate. Though I love to see a small-'scope pushed as hard as possible (you get a tip-of-the-lid from me) I often think you'd really benefit from an even slightly bigger 'scope.

Best,

Les D