View Single Post
Old 18-09-2019, 03:58 PM
pjphilli (Peter)

LED street lighting in Sydney

I see in a recent thread from StuTodd in Dunedin NZ that some "success" has been achieved with the type of LED lighting used in some "sensitive" areas of that city.

Now that LED lighting in Sydney seems to be rolling out apace (especially in the Sydney City area) I am wondering if anyone has experienced LED street lighting in their area of Sydney.

I live in a suburban area which is currently close to sodium lighting on a main highway and mercury vapour in the local street lights and of course the general light glow from the city centre. I use a neodymium light pollution filter which notches out the above highway/street light pollution.

However, I read that the LED street lights have a wide spectrum and hence my present filter would provide little protection from this light pollution. I certainly hope that the intense white LED lights such as those use in modern car headlights will not be the norm as I and apparently many others do not appreciate being hit in the eye by these lights when driving.
I see that the Wikipedia article on LED street lighting indicates some health and other concerns.

Any comments?
Peter