View Single Post
Old 09-01-2017, 04:16 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protiotype View Post
$900 each return! Did you score that through a travel agent?

My booking with Air New Zealand back in early October ended up being $1202 + $88 with preferred seating (at the back (2-4-2 seating), window seat for the overnight hops) - quotes online at the moment appears similar to what I paid.

I get to skip LAX entirely as well as take in a few more climbs/descents.

My new passport should be on track to arrive within a few weeks too. TINY bit excited. ;D I just have to sort out accommodation now - I'll aim to do that before February.

(Btw, Plan A will be Madras rather than Salem. I have a ("professional") driver sorted already. Plan B I guess would be Salem and Plan C & D would be to fly to interstate if the weather is looking armageddon. I *should* do better than Cairns 2012... It's going to be a great adventure either way.)
Ah, so you are heading to Oregon? We have decided to fly to LAX then on to New York for a few days, then fly to Denver, rent a car, drive to Cheyanne in Wyoming then drive to the Casper area on the day of the eclipse, though plan may change with forecasts!!
Then we do a 10 day bus tour around the National Parks (Yellowstone, Bryces, Grand Canyon finishing in Las Vegas, then back home via LAX.
The $900 price is net of the award points that we picked up going to the US, Hawaii and Europe over the last few years, price was about $1200 before that for a direct flight Melbourne to LAX with Virgin it was a special that was only available yesterday as far as I can see.

Malcolm