View Single Post
Old 27-11-2018, 06:57 PM
Kunama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavytone View Post
IMHO its attempt to pull market share from Celestron/Meade 8" SCTs aimed at those who are motived by lowest cost first and foremost with no idea about quality.

... these scopes are cheap, for a reason.

These have 33% central obstruction meaning they will be soft like SCTs, compared to premium maks that have a much smaller secondary.
The open tubes mean the coatings wont last long*.
They have 4-vane spiders with overly thick arms - no thought was given to optimising these for diffraction.
The parts are basically those for an RC.

Note * longevity of the coatings doesn't matter because on average these will see a half dozen outings before most owners figure its all too hard, too complicated and put it in storage for the next 20 years - because surfing the internet is a lot easier - starting with APOD. I've seen the sales figures for Celestron 8's... there are a staggering number "out there" that have been forgotten, and simply never get used.

FWIW I'd bet my MN86 will slay these. And never mind the MK91, no contest.
Obviously it is not going to be a match for a TEC Mak but nor is the price. Not sure that I agree with a lot of these assumptions, certainly not until I get a chance to see or use one....