View Single Post
Old 17-01-2020, 10:14 AM
DarthRiker (Vikram)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Hi Vikram
Welcome to IIS
A few questions -
Are you interested in visual observing only , astrophotography or both ?
If you are new to astronomy with no experience, I wouldn’t recommend a C8 Cassegrain telescope as your first scope either for visual or astrophotography, it’s more suitable for an intermediate or advanced person , reason it’s a long story
I would recommend an 80mm refractor or a 6” f5 Newtonian reflector telescope as your first scope , both will suit your proposed HEQ5 mount and both can be used for visual observing and Astrophotography
I could go on but that’s my advice at present , I’m sure others will comment to steer you in the right direction
The nearest astronomy clubs to you are located in the rear of the ASTRONOMY 2020 Australia book , I think there’s one in Wollongong
Also some good local suppliers of astronomy equipment are Bintel and Andrews Communications in Sydney , a lot of IIS members use them
Cheers for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imme View Post
Agree re scope, dont buy a C8.......the frustration you will have trying image through it will probably result in you giving up the hobby.
Thanks. I know a Newt is preferable for EAA ...but the compactness of the C8 SCT is also factor for me. I have really thought about this decision.

While I know a C8 is probably more work - that doesn't stop me. It takes a lot to make me call it quits (which I don't intend on doing).

My goal is mainly EAA (with maybe the rare/occasional visual).