View Single Post
Old 06-12-2020, 09:21 AM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA View Post
Hi Alex,

What you are building is a radiant heat shield. For the best performance you need high reflectivity on the sun side. A white gloss powdercoated steel would be in that respect or at a pinch a gloss white painted roof of some sort. Aluminium also has excellent reflectivity if kept clean and protected/cleaned of oxidation. In fact any of the surfaces should be kept as clean as possible as dirt, dust ixidation, etc will reduce their reflectivity. Perhaps a good hose off in spring in readiness for summer.

In addition to all that use Sheeny, Rainmakers and Julian's(hello guys) excellent suggestions above. Additionally if your van doesnt already have a white roof (most do) then make it so.

Keep cool.

Best
JA
Alex, this reminded me of the Thermoshield Caravan Roof Paint, which many Grey Nomads apply to their caravans. I actually applied it to my hard roof camper that I built more than a decade ago. It goes on pretty thick, and has reflective ceramic beads in it and some people swear by it. Manufacturer claims it can reduce internal radiant temp load by 45%.

https://www.thermoshieldqld.com.au/b...rmoshield.html

A Qld product.