View Single Post
Old 09-06-2012, 01:17 PM
Joshua Bunn (Joshua)

Question lense chromatic aberation?

Hi all.

I recently purchased a canon 35mm f1.4L lense and tried it out with a 30sec unguided exposure of the milkyway. I first tried it at f1.4 which showed considerable, what i think is, chromatic aberation on the brighter stars. Stopping it down a few stops reduced the CA though.

Is this normal to see such CA at the maximum apperure? The stars looked flourecent blue / purple. This was observed on axis in the centre of the frame. this is my first experience with these lenses and dont really know what to expect.

Sorry i cant post a picture yet, I shot in RAW mode and reducing the file size down to 200kb renders the image quality pretty useless in terms of looking at chromatic aberation. I may have to post the link to somewhere so you can see what im talking about.

Also, how do you image the sun? I see sun shots in photographs and would like to know what is used in terms of filters, if any. I would be interested to hear others experiences with photographing the sun through the lense with live view mode (not looking at it through the viewfinder). I shot it with live view trying to get the venus transit and thought i stuffed the camera when the LCD froze with verticle red bands infront of a black background. I then realised the battery was dead and i guess this must have happened when reading out an image. The camera is working as normall thankfully.

Many thanks
Josh