View Single Post
Old 02-02-2011, 12:58 AM
marki
Waiting for next electron

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvelez View Post
Mark,

I fear I have misread your notes in another very helpful post at http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...=maxim+guiding

In that post you suggest that

"It also pays to have the mount connected through the telescope window as this will supply all the info to maxim and you wont have to use the manual calibration settings and scope dec is automatically read as is pier flip etc so you do not need to recalibrate if you move to a different target."

I assumed from this that I should use pulse guiding through ASCOM rather than the guider relays. Rereading it, I guess you simply meant that the mount should be linked in via Maxim but that autoguiding is done through the relays - D'Oh!

Your earlier post has been extremely helpful - thanks for that.

I'll try again via guide relays.

Pete
I hope it works as well for you as it does for me Pete. Also if you want maxim to guide off a star you choose just put the mouse over it and click once. I used to draw a box around it then wonder why it paid no attention at all (then I read the instructions ). Helps to take a simple dark frame for the guider as well (under options tab on the RHS). Also if you are able to set guide rates in EQmode (1X, 0.5X etc) you can use that to smooth the curve more as maxim will also be treating EQmode as your controller, just takes a bit of trial and error. In 5.12 there is also the anti striction function under the settings tab in the guide window. This is really good if you get a saw blade type curve where the program keeps over shooting due to backlash. If you polar align very slightly out so that there is a slight drift and check the box for anti striction, the program will determine the direction drift and switch off the axis that corrects with the drift. This means it will only send signals to correct against the drift so the worm is always loaded and eliminates a lot of problems with too much backlash.

Cheers

Mark

Last edited by marki; 02-02-2011 at 01:12 AM.