View Single Post
Old 26-01-2019, 12:50 AM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

Orion SSAG for image capture

I have acquired an Orion SSAG as part of a bundle of astro equipment I picked up locally for a good price.

I have successfully installed it's drivers & PHD2 so, one day I can use it with the little Orion 80mm ST Guidescope & use it for it's intended purpose.

However, I would like to try & use this for some simple mono image capture.. I have researched the hell out of it online & came up with three options:

(a) Fastcap - select QHY camera... doesn't work, doesn't detect camera
(b) Sky Video 2011 - advertises itself as working with SSAG.. doesn't work, doesn't detect camera
(c) QGVideo (QHY5 software as these are the same camera I believe)... doesn't work, doesn't detect camera

Has anyone had any success using this camera for image capture & if so, what program have you used? How did you make it work?

I have read about reflashing the Orion SSAG to make it into a 'real' QHY5 but, can't find any detailed instructions on how to do that & the thought of messing with reflash instills a fair bit of fear into my heart..

Don't want to ruin the camera for it's intended purpose, would just like to wring a little more out of it if possible...

Thanks in advance...