View Single Post
Old 27-05-2012, 04:32 PM
andyc (Andy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausastronomer View Post
Hi Andy,

Glad to hear your enjoying the list and getting a good ways through it.

I am just moving into a new house in Kiama in a couple of weeks on a 1 acre block on the outskirts of town with mag 6+ skies in the backyard. I am going to set myself a test to see if I can revisit all of these from my backyard in the 14" SDM. If I can get them all in the 14" from home I am then going to try for them all in the 10" SDM, which will be very tough from this location. I should get the 10" SDM within the next couple of months, if my good friend Mr Read extracts his didgit and gets his sheds built

Cheers,
John B
Hi John, it would be very interesting to hear if you can see all the faint ones / split all the tight doubles with the 14". Some of the close and unequal ones are too tough for the 8"! I'm up past 380 now as the centre of the galaxy has wandered into the evening sky. I've been pleasantly surprised how many of the Leo/Virgo galaxies I've seen from Melbourne, though you have to wait for the good nights. I reckon I can reach 500 with the 8", of which maybe 400 are visible in southern suburban skies (milky way visible but faint, LMC barely visible). 25 or so of my tally I've only seen because of having been in the Northern Hemisphere. A few more trips to dark skies might take my tally well above 500 with the 8", the rest will have to wait at least till I get my dream scope - my own 12" or similar. I don't doubt that some are probably too tough for even a 12"! Thanks again for the great challenge