View Single Post
Old 22-01-2021, 07:26 PM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

Hello,

With already having a paracorr you have a nice start, at F5 over F4.5 your eyepieces won't have to be top of the line bling. But they will still be on the pricey side if you want wide fields.

I'd suggest you focus on what you want to view, I have a F6 8" and for two of my eyepieces the requirements are;
1) Mid-High mag that still gives a full disc of the moon (I like luna obs)
2) A low mag that will frame M42 nicely - Doubles as a nice wandering ep as well.

Its all about eye relief and exit pupil for visuals imho, you need to be comfortable with both to allow for extended viewing times at the eyepiece. 2-4mm exit pupil is often said to be optimum, but that's not a hard rule, just a rule of thumb.

After that, its finding eyepieces that will full these requirements and work well at the scopes F speed. Try and keep all your eyepieces within a few hundred grams of each or think about the balancing the scope if you go for a Dob style mount.

So, do you want to split doubles, see the planets or wander the skies...

Steve
Ps. If your going manual there is a reason why extra wide field eyepieces followed on shortly after the explosion of the Dobsonian style telescope!

Pps. Younger eyes will have no problem with 1mm or less exit pupils, so, its an age thing as well, at 50+ I tend to want to stay around 1.5mm+ and under 6mm.