View Single Post
Old 20-11-2020, 09:25 AM
glend (Glen)

Progress on Scope Choice

Progress is being made, at least in relation to scope choice, and I have decided that I will be adopting a two scope approach to EAA. Conventional wisdom says an effective focal length of 400-600mm at a good speed is ideal for EAA, this is ideal for wide field views. However, it does rather poorly on smaller objects where longer focal length is desired (albeit speed is still important). It was pointed out to me that piggy-backing a smaller fast refractors on the top of a longer scope, has the potential to solve the reach issue. It complicates a single camera choice to some extent, as pixel size has to be kept in mind.
I have now ordered the longer focal length base scope (and reducer), and I will hold off on revealing that until it arrives. I believe I have an ideal candidate for the shorter focal length top mounted scope, and really there are many choices, but there is more work to do there. The invisioned double stack will not trouble my observatory pier mounted CGX.
Where I do have problems is in camera choice, the simple reason being there is very little stock of what I see as preferred cameras available in the near term. That's it for now.