View Single Post
Old 16-02-2016, 01:15 PM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Welcome Josh
It is good to see someone who has done the research.
Your choices are all good alternatives.

Raymo is spot on.
Saxon and Skywatcher are very similar, the skywatcher is (IMHO) a slightly better build quality.

If size is not an issue, get the full tube, but remember, size can be an issue for transportation, as well as storage. I have my 12" collapsible stored in a cupboard that a full tube would not fit into. Most people don't want them stuck in the middle of their lounge rooms.

Collapsible (as apposed to struts) hold their collimation extremely well, even over very rough roads out to our dark sky site.

Collapsible cools down quicker than solid tube. Tube currents are generally not an issue with any open scope, even less with collapsible.

Solid tube don't require a shroud. That will save money. But I often use my collapsible without the shroud anyway, if there is no stray light, and no DEW about.

I would lean towards the one where the seller is close to you, for advice, and those regular optional extras and accessories.

Finally, I disagree that the eyepieces that come with these scopes are poor quality. Generally they are very good quality Plossl eyepieces and they compare favourably to much more expensive ones.

Happy Viewing!