View Single Post
Old 15-11-2010, 05:56 AM
AstroTourist (Terry)
Show me the universe

Weather Obs 14 Nov in the eclipse path

If the eclipse was today (14 Nov), it would have been seen at Julatten, not seen at Mt Molloy and Maryfarms but visible at Mt Carbine. I drove through Julatten at 6:38 and saw the sun through thin cloud. There was cloud above me which was moist air moving in from the sea that was banked up against the ranges. As I drove through Mt Molloy the sun was obscured by those clouds and it did not reappear above the clouds over the range (Mt Lewis) until after I had passed Maryfarms. The sun was clear of the thick cloud but still in thin cloud by the time I arrived at Mt Carbine. It is clear that the coastal ranges have a significant cloud forming effect in this area and at least on this occasion Mt Carbine was far enough west.
I know from others that the sun was apparently visible at eclipse time from about Oak Beach south including Cairns but there was a thick cloud to the east from about Port Douglas north. So Port Douglas would probably have missed out. I do not personally know of any Tablelands observations today.
I will post a complete summary of my weather observations for the week when I return to Bris.
Terry