View Single Post
Old 18-03-2024, 02:02 PM
Leo.G (Leo)

I don't know whether the stove black may be non reflective. Keep in mind the simple trick of using a coat of....Damn, I can't remember, it helps paint adhere to aluminium, I'll go have a look at my laundry shelf, it should be in there.....Ah, Penetrol, an old painters trick.

A quick search on Cloudy nights showed this up, whether it's readily available in Aus I don't know.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ated_Base.html

Rosco Supersaturated Concentrated Base- Velour Black

I've also seen mention of blackboard paint mixed with a grit like sand, some say talc.

It's a hard subject, I've tried theoretically non reflective black adhesive felt and it looked like an entire star field when light hit it. I'd lined a 5" reflector with it. It soon got ripped out and discarded.
The other option is anodising. It can be done at home using black food colouring from what I've read and basic chemicals you can get at Coles and Bunnings.
I do believe however end results vary and it's a trial and error process.
Actually, I ran the zinc and anodising tanks at an industrial plating shop in my early 20s (too long ago to really remember), it was all trial and error, nothing requiring a good finish ran through without a few test samples first.
I myself have a few adapters I've had machined I have yet to anodise, one day....