Thread: Canon lens help
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2009, 03:59 PM
dugnsuz (Doug)

Quote:
Originally Posted by koputai View Post
Yep, I understand that, maybe I should have said 'field of view'.

From what I've been reading, the 70-200 f2.8 L-series is not very well regarded, whereas the f4 version is very highly regarded, some say it's the best tele-zoom available. What about this beastie, with the 1.4x teleconverter?

God, this is all too hard!!!

Cheers,
Jason.
Stand strong Sir Jason!!!

The canon 70-200mm L range all get a good rap.
I picked the f4L (non IS version) as I primarily wanted an astro lens.
It has performed very well in both it's daytime and astro roles - very happy with it. And, it's relatively cheap in comparison with the rest of the L lenses.
I also used it with the 1.4x extender - once again, very nice. No CA or aberrations noticeable with this combination. I used the 70-200mm f4L +1.4x ext for much of the stuff on my photobucket page - in fact the Eta HaRGB which got a honourable mention in the 2009 Malins was taken with this combo.
I recently bought a 300mm f4L to extend my range + extender to 420mm. I found this combo nowhere near as nice as the 70-200+ext - the stars showed a bit of CA and astigmatism.

So, I can recommend the 70-200mm f4L/1.4x Extender combination from personal experience. Both are within your 2k top limit. $1292 for both on ebay!

Good Luck
Doug