View Single Post
Old 15-02-2015, 12:27 PM
PRejto (Peter)

"That could also be useful for me in that I find my Trius 694 being so sensitive to IR and probably UV that I get star bloat in some images from brighter stars which per the theory here on ONAG and different types of stars output points the finger at too much NIR and UV affecting my images at times.

Greg"

I just looked at the ONAG web pages. It looks like the ONAG transmits from 370nm. The problem I experience with my TEC140/Trius combination also shows up using Baader RGB filters which if memory serves correctly transmit from 380nm. I see clear improvement once I start clipping from 410nm. Thus, I would conclude (with my scope) that the ONAG would not make an improvement in UV bloat (if indeed that is what you are seeing). Now that you have sold your TEC180 are you seeing bloat with other scopes of yours? I've always felt that two issues were involved here. With a refractor there is possible blue haloing from unfocused UV, but this would vary from APO to APO depending on the lens figuration in blue. As best I can tell the Televue NP127/trius combination is immune. But general bloat could very well be due to overflow from the tiny wells. And that I would guess has little or nothing to do with UV. Anyway this is a bit OT for this thread!

Peer