View Single Post
Old 11-02-2019, 09:25 AM
Redeye

there are some apps about, such as "Astro Locator" which will help you get your mount pointing in the right direction. Having said that, the compass apps on most smart phones are a bit iffy. Much better to use a compass and adjust for true south from Magnetic south. The inclimometers (angle finders, spirit levels etcs) in phones are pretty accurate though

Polar alignment is something that I struggled with for quite a while, then happened across a post on IIS, regarding making a baton to rest the compass on, so that you can line the baton up perpendicular to true south. You then place the rear 2 tripod legs against this baton and hey presto!

Post here: http://www.iceinspace.com.au/63-499-0-0-1-0.html

I have sighly modified the approach to make it more flexible, in that the cross piece on the baton I have mounted at right angles to the baton, not at the local magnetic deviation. this enables me to set any deviation on the compass (as I move around a lot) and still use the same baton.

With regards to the altitude adjustment, that is your latitude. The Astro locator app gives you this then if you place the phone flat on the mount saddle and adjust it, it highlights by going bold, when you are at the correct altitude. This takes a lot of guess work out of the setup and gets you close enough to do an accurate polar alignment if needed.

Last edited by Redeye; 11-02-2019 at 01:53 PM.