View Single Post
Old 25-01-2019, 07:32 PM
Bluknghtv (Daniel)

polar alignment procedure.

Probably asked before but couldn't find a definitive answer. So when setting up my eq6GT, I align the tripod counter weight leg to due south and then move az dec bolts to find scp finding scp via an app initially and dial in with software? I have read that from due south go 12deg to the east and then find scp. I ask this because when I point due south the scp is way off where I am and the az bolts don't have enough adjustment to reach the S/SE area of the sky.
The only way I can get in the vicinity of roughly where the scp is I need to manually move the tripod more to the SE and virtually in line with the scp? This then doesn't allow the tripod to be pointing due south to start with. Wanting to get out and get this sorted tonight as it's the only clear night I have had really since getting my orion 130 apo. Obviously watching youtube channels most deal with Polaris and up there in the north because polaris is close to due north they don't need to put as much az movement on their mount. I've watched so many vids about it that I'm confused now and it's hard for me where I am as there are no Astro clubs around to go to for help