View Single Post
Old 13-02-2017, 09:48 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

The vixen hotshoe compass can still react to your camera/lens/tripod so test this i use a separate compass too to do a final comparison before leaving my setup to shoot. Getting the alignment right is critical if you are doing long exposures, but as others pointed out the wider the lens the less the problems manifest plus the vixen itself has accuracy limits (listed in its manual) which are hard (read impossible) to exceed. I use a compact zoom, not dslr on mine for weight at longer focal lengths (short exposures and stacking for my images).

One thing thats easy to overlook is that the polarie turns the camera. Depending on your camera/lense shape and how you mount it on the VP be mindful where the camera position limits are , ie where it will touch the VP body or something else. So on long exposures you might find the rig turns to a position where it makes contact with something, hindering rotation and straining the motors. Or Maybe you can always point your camera to all parts of the sky with ever contacting anything. But it needs to be considered. Likewise any cabling you have going to the camera rig could get twisted and caught on your tripod/VP too so consider that as well.