View Single Post
Old 19-08-2020, 09:33 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Peter
I’ve been using my unmodded Canon 600D for over 3 years now in my 6” and 8” newtonian reflector telescopes ( I chose not to mod the camera as I believe modding let’s way to much red Ha into the image and washes it out with red but that’s only my opinion and choice , each to their own )
To answer some of your questions -
I usually take 15 darks ( dark frames ) for up to a total of 1 hour of exposures or subframes (subs) or light frames and 20 darks for everything beyond 1 hour
The 1 hour could be made up of 1 minute to 5 minute long exposures

Since you have a Canon 600D I strongly recommend you purchase the E book Beginners Guide to DSLR Astrophotography from Astropix ( Jerry Lodriguss) the guru of DSLR astrophotography. It covers the A to Z of DSLR Astrophotography including Camera settings ,white balance , darks , flats , technical info everything etc... I bought it 3 years ago and answered most of my questions

Last night I took 50 x 2 minute exposures ( subs ) and 15 x darks on M16 Eagle Nebula. Yes your light frames are the light exposures You take to capture an object !!

I use Deep Sky Stacker DSS for stacking frame and have a procedure for stacking using a DSLR

I use Startools V1.4 and V1.5 for final processing and again I can send you a basic procedure, I can’t remember how much it cost but it wasn’t expensive

Cheers
Martin