View Single Post
Old 07-08-2017, 04:06 AM
astro744

At the front of the atlas is the index showing a map with chart numbers for the different parts of the sky. Eg chat 1 is NCP And chart 220 is SCP. The index is a small scale chart. A few pages in before the main charts is the Uranometria Star Map numbered I to XXII. This has a larger scale than the index but still much smaller than the main charts. The USM is also indexed with main chart numbers.

I have the three volume set (two volumes of charts and one volume DSFG). My understanding is that the All Sky edition is simply the two volumes of charts combined into a single book. The DSFG is still labelled vol 3. All chart numbers are the same between the different editions except for the original release from 1987 which has different chart numbers and a different format with opposing pages not related. The original release also has a different DSFG to match its chart numbers.

I also have Interstellarium colour version but have not used it in the field. I tend to favour my original Sky Atlas Deluxe (colour version) for general observing and Uranometria for hunting down faint galaxies. Another good atlas is the Herald-Bobroff Astroatlas but it is out of print as is also the Millennium Star Atlas.

I don't use electronic atlases in the field.

Enjoy you Uranometria!