View Single Post
Old 01-04-2017, 06:40 PM
DancingStar (Tony)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellx View Post
Tony

I have both an EQ5 and EQ6 and the process is the same with both. I agree with Wayne, I think you are confusing the two processes.

Do the polar alignment, and when you come to the Synscan 2 or 3 star alignment only use the Hand Controller to make the adjustments. Ignore this part "and tells me to adjust the star back to the centre using the adjustment bolts, not the hand controller".

I have found that I only ever need to do a 2 star alignment if I get the Polar Alignment fairly close.

This is the part that drove me nuts for a long time - "If that’s true, what should I do about the routine to improve the pointing accuracy [which means using the adjustment bolts again]". Ignore this and use the Hand Controller.

Polar Alignment - use the Alt and Az knobs
2 Star Alignment - use the Hand Controller

Hope this helps.
Darrell
Hi Darrell, thanks for that. You message does not mention ‘drift alignment’ so is that what you mean when you say ‘polar alignment’?
Are you saying that first I should set up the tripod facing south, the mount at the right elevation, then do drift alignment then do 2 or 3-star alignment [and don’t bother with the fine adjustment bit]?
Cheers
Tony