View Single Post
Old 08-05-2011, 05:36 PM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [1ponders] View Post
In a word: don't!

This question has been asked a number of times and been replied to by jjjnettie who has had one for quite some time and she has really persevered with it. I have seen the results and they are dismal to say the least. One of, if not the noisiest DSLR for astrowork that Canon has brought out. Personally I don't think Canon have brought out a consumer or prosumer DSLR that is really suitable for astro work since the 40D. Even thought the pixel size is a bit small (5.7 micron) for deepsky its a 14 bit camera which is a big bonus. Alternatively consider a 30D with a slightly bigger pixel (6.4) though only 12 bit as previous Canons

But that's just my opinion.
Let me add my 10 cents worth. I've had 20Ds, 300Ds and 1000Ds. I recently bought another 1000D to make use of the Live facility for focusing etc. It is an unmitigated piece of rubbish. Oddly, the previous 1000Ds I've had (I've had 2) were OK. That's progress for you. The amount of noise in the red channel in this new one is unbelievable. It is useless for astro work.
I gave the most recent 20D to one of my kids because of heat bloom making it useless for astro work. The old 300D was probably my pick. Shame about the lack of live focus.
I will not buy another Canon. Period.
Peter