View Single Post
Old 06-06-2017, 09:05 PM
pgc hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropo-Bob View Post
Nice evening Sab, I am so envious. If there has ever been a night like that in Cairns, I missed it!

I am amazed that your 8 inch scope was able to show detail on Ganymede. Is it a stock-standard scope of something more fancy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinderboxsky View Post
A stunning result Sab. Very envious too.

I am also interested to hear a little about your scope. I recall you referring to it in a post a year or two ago but cannot recall the detail other than it was a longer focal length than today's trends.

Edit: f6 obviously as per your signature
This scope was actually made by Cris at Astronomy Alive in Melbourne and I bought it second hand. From what I understand, the optics in this scope are made by the same folks that make the optics for Takahashi and the tube is fully flocked. It's focal length is the standard 1200mm F/6. The tube is slightly longer than normal to avoid dew on the mirrors. The secondary is a tad large at 2.14" so I plan on putting in a 1.83" sometime down the track. It also needs a primary fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post
Great work..you've got an exceptional scope or eyes or both..I now am inspired to try in my 10" SCT!

bigjoe
I think it was the seeing more than anything else. With a tiny 1.5" disk, it doesn't take much to blur Ganymede.