View Single Post
Old 19-04-2010, 07:38 PM
dugnsuz (Doug)

Quote:
Originally Posted by philiphart View Post
The M54 thread on the QHY filter wheel is not that common.. I certainly could not find an adaptor to do the job and had to get one custom made (as well as reducing the thickness of the camera-filter wheel connector).

I'm not sure that 16 or 14 bits is the thing to worry about - a lot of other factors are more important. I've got some test shots that give a direct comparison.. will try to finish processing and post soon..

After a few months with both, I'm very impressed with the performance of the cooled DSLR for widefield work. But the h-alpha shots with the QHY9 are also appealing..
I've been using Astronomik 12nm Ha and OIII EOS clip-in filters with the 40D recently and have blended their results with my RGB's or made synthetic RGBs - I'm quite happy with the results. Here's a Synthetic RGB I did of the Tarantula region (Ha=R,OIIIG=G,OIIIB=B)...
http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k...current=27.jpg

Though the colours may not be everyone's cup of tea - I love the drama of the results!!!

Although the DSLR isn't firing on all cylinders with regard to NB response/sensitivity, I don't think it lives up to the bad press some have given it.
Your praise for the Cooled DSLR has give me some Hart (pun intended)

Doug