Thread: The USA again.
View Single Post
Old 28-02-2014, 12:59 AM
Stardrifter_WA
Life is looking up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICURMT View Post
ooooooooooo.... will just miss you. Headed back home (Colorado) for a visit at the end of May.

Have a "Fat Tire Ale" for me, enjoy the trip. I will have to agree (with extreme bias), a train trip through the Rockies is a grand site...

I used to live in Durango back in the early 80's. Since your traveling the 550, I'd recommend additional stops in Ouray / Silverton with a "side trip" to Telluride for the Mountain Film Festival... (http://www.visittelluride.com/festiv...film-telluride)

Denver University have an observatory on Mt Evans, but to be honest, it's out of the way if you are headed west on I-70 to US550.

I'm not aware of any public observatories along the San Juan range, but there are Chaco and Anasazi archeoastronomical sites populated along SW Colorado and NW New Mexico, if that's of interest to you...

OIC!
Hi OIC,

The train trip through the Rockies is awesome for sure, which is why I am doing it again. Ever time I visit Cleveland, I will fly into LA and do a train trip across the US, alternating between that and via Albuquerque. I love train travel, the longer the better. It is such a gentlemanly way to travel, even if it is a lot more expensive than flying. You can see much more out the train window than you can at thirty thousand feet! Besides, it isn't always about the destination, but about the journey. Have met some wonderful people on trains.

Did Silverton and Ouray last August. Particularly loved Silverton, which a nice little town, which is why I am going back. Although I won't have the time this trip, I would really like to do the train ride from Durango to Silverton. I heard the train whistle coming up the valley as the train headed into Silverton. It was the most haunting, yet beautiful, sound I have ever heard.

Also visited the Chaco Canyon, another beautiful place, if a bit remote and barren. Would have loved to stay for the night viewing at their observatory, but I was on a tight schedule that trip. On the drive out to Chaco canyon, I found out why you don't drive dirt roads in a convertible (the latest model Mustang). I was covered in white dust.

I intend to, if possible, hire another Mustang convertible at Denver. Having driven the latest model, I definitely wouldn't want to own one, but it is fun for a holiday.

Thanks for the advice on Telluride, I will do a side trip.

Oh, and I will also be visiting JMI Telescopes whilst in Denver, to get a repair done and order parts to make up a new focuser for my WO FLT110.

Cheers Pete

Last edited by Stardrifter_WA; 28-02-2014 at 01:15 AM.