View Single Post
Old 28-10-2019, 10:02 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

Yep . Every sympathy with trying to see octans in a polar scope or at all really. There are lot of nearby star patterns which look very similar and then a lot of light pollution.

Getting an approximation by day would help I agree. If you do not have a GPS compass which is the only almost reliable device at night and an inclinometer accurate to within 0.2 degrees.

You can also check your boundary survey for the magnetic North point and go 12.5 degrees west of that for True North

I use a polar clock utility to remember which way up octans is on any night as you appreciate it spins around the SC pole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJones View Post
Just trying to help Ed but I’m not sure that everyone is considering what Octans looks like through a 4” F/13 MAK CAS. I’ll tell you from experience with your exact telescope, it’s not easy. I chimed in before and mentioned that your hand controller will guide you through polar alignment on the wedge. If you’re not experienced and don’t know the night sky all that well as most new people are. Use your hand controller, let it help you find SCP and polar align then have a look though your eye prices and see what you really can see.