Thread: Canon Vs Nikon
View Single Post
Old 28-03-2009, 01:54 PM
AlexN
Widefield wuss

Well said Greg..

You are very correct, up until Nikon's D200, the Canon cameras were far superior.. These days its really a matter of personal taste more than a clear superiority...

I also could not agree more, that if someone was going to buy a Canon 40D/50D and get it modified, they may as well save that little bit extra and buy the QHY8. When used to its full potential, there really is no comparison between a DSLR and CCD for astro imaging. Yes, DSLR images can be great, and can have low noise. but how often do you see DSLR images where the photographer chose not to use Darks simply because they didnt deem it necessary?

I just got through posting in a thread on Cloudy Nights about this exact same topic, and the general gist of my post was that for astro photography, All roads eventually lead to a dedicated cooled CCD imager. be it mono or OSC, large format or otherwise, multi megapixel or small resolution... One way or another, every serious astro imager will eventually want a cooled CCD, and majority will convince whoever it is they have to convince in order to buy one..

Im currently looking for another CCD.... Horses for courses sort of thing..