Thread: Canon Vs Nikon
View Single Post
Old 24-03-2009, 11:34 AM
AlexN
Widefield wuss

As a current user of both Nikon and Canon cameras, I will say that for terrestrial uses, they are very much on par, They each have their strengths and weaknesses for certain tasks, I find the Canon to be the strong winner for "action" photography, where as the Nikon excels in landscape/portrait still life photography. The Nikon has better colour reproduction straight out of the camera, although the canon images can be made to look identical with a little tweak here and there in photoshop..

Lenses (for astro and terrestrial use):
Canon lenses in my opinion are nicer. They are more solidly built, they generally focus just that weeee bit faster than the Nikon equivalent, and also, are usually more accurate when continiously autofocusing on moving objects.. The one exception would be the Nikkor 70-200 F/2.8 VR, which I think outdoes the Canon 70-200 F/2.8L IS by the slightest of slight margins..

Astro work.
Canons are supported a lot more by astro imaging software, and seem to be easier to integrate into an astro imaging setup without having techincal difficulties.. Programs like DSLR Focus/DSLR Shutter etc do support Nikon cameras (some models) however there is near on total support for the Canon models.

In the older models, the Canon's were a lot less noisy than the Nikon's. This is going back to the days of the 20D and the D70s, however nowadays, comparing, say the Canon 5D Mk2 and the Nikon D3 or the Canon 1D vs the D3x, I think you would be very hard pressed to find a winner...

The choice then falls back on "what are you most likey to use it for the most?" If its purely for astrophotography, Buy a Canon...

There are plenty of reviews and comparison tests to look at online, but dont take one reviews word as gospel, definitely read everything you can, as some reviews can be biased etc. Also, try to look past the older comparisons (ie 20D vs D70/D70s) whilst they are good articles for historical purposes, the results are no longer true in the Canon vs Nikon great debate..

I definitely love my Nikon, for what I use it for its brilliant, I definitely love my Canons also..