View Single Post
Old 28-03-2020, 09:27 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

That’s a really interesting methodology MnT, not something I’d considered doing but it’s worked well!
What makes it interesting is that it’s purple in the SHO image and OIII in colour in RGB which is suggestive of both SII and OIII emissions. If it was purely reflection nebulosity then it shouldn’t show up in SHO at all like other reflection nebula.

It’s a bit difficult to see in these images but I’m assuming it still has the “squiggles” in Version C?

The overall look around that star appears to be reflection nebula after the SHO has been removed so I think we can say that it’s a given. It’s a bright energetic star so it’s not surprising to see reflection nebulosity around it.
It also cannot be purely reflection otherwise it wouldn’t appear so strong in OII and SII. As to what could cause that process, it’s still racking my brain a bit. It’s definitely suggestive of high energy processes in the past with SII but a decent NII emission isn’t suggested by the blue colour. In pure RGB it still looks like a very strong OIII emission.